Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Garbage Everywhere

Garbage everywhere is in the news. One, the trashslide in my hometown, Baguio, which took some lives and others still missing :(. A neighbor in our barangay died because of falling rocks when he went out in the middle of Typhoon Mina to supposedly clean the drainage near their house so that our road won't become a river. I thought he died of sickness or something when I first saw condolence posts in FB but I was surprised when it was announced on TV that he was one of the casualties of the typhoon. Hay.

And then the tons of garbage along Manila Bay which were from the nearby provinces. It breaks my heart to listen to all this and at the same time frustrated because I feel that all of us are not doing something about it. We always blame others/the government when we're faced with such problems. The government has programs regarding waste management but we are not following it. Others may, but not everyone. I hope this will be an eye-opener for all of us. Let's start by doing the 3 Rs-Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

On the brighter side of things, I'm happy to see that some places are now having efforts to reduce the use of plastic. SM Supermarket do not use plastic bags every Wednesday so you have to bring your own shopping bag or you have to pay for plastic bag or have your items boxed. Mini Stop do not use plastic every Tuesdays and Thursdays. They have paper bags though. I heard some places at the South of the Metro have long enforced no plastic in all establishments. I hope that through these small steps, we would still be able to preserve Mother Earth.

Lezzzgggooo!!! We can do it!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home