Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Financial Goals for 2015: Year End Review

I have been delaying the reality check for the goals I've set in 2015 mostly because I know I haven't met most of it hehehehe. You see, right after publishing my goals in 2015, life happened.
  • A piece of land called my name, the payment terms are easy, and I went ahead and bought one parcel. And this impulse decision impacted my goals early on hehehe.
  • As per tradition, we had to do something for mom and it was unexpected, and entailed a big amount. While she still had remaining money after her burial, it was not enough to cover all the expenses so I had to take some from my safety fund.
  • A day after the traditional ceremonies for our mother, our father was rushed to the hospital, and then we eventually lost him. Incurred a lot of hospital bills and burial expenses, which was thankfully covered by the donations we've received but it was still not enough so I had to again take some more from my safety fund. 
  • Admittedly, I resorted to retail therapy partly to cope with all the stress at the start of last year. I don't regret my purchases though because most are things that I need and still using until now. 
And now, here's my reality check.
  1. Complete safety fund (6 months' worth) by June 2015 - FAILED (At 4 months by year end. Reevaluating now, given that I don't have parents to take care of anymore)
  2. Religiously pay SK LU. 18 months to go - SUCCESS! (6 months to go!)
  3. Save a total of Php 61,500 by end of the year for lot processing/housing fund - FAILED (All funds reallocated to something else)
  4. Maintain 2k/month allocation for BDO EIP until June. Increase to 5k/month by July. - FAILED (Had to retain 2k/month until year end)
  5. Increase MF to 20k - FAILED
  6. Add 10-20k in stock market - SUCCESS! (Added a total of 12k. Small, but every amount counts!)
  7. Save a total of Php 40K for continuation of house construction - FAILED (All funds reallocated to something else)
  8. Attend at least 2 financial seminars - SUCCESS!
  9. Allocate a daily allowance and put all extra in a jar. This will be used for wants. - QUITE (Was able to save some from my allowance. Still not spent and will still be for wants)
  10. Continue donation for church construction in my hometown where my mom was active on her last few months with us - FAILED (All funds reallocated to something else)
  11. Set aside a Tulong fund for those unexpected expenses. I have been getting surprise requests since my mom died and it screws up my budget and stresses me out most of the time (all my income down to the last centavo is allocated to something so I really don't have any extra fund which I can let go of anytime). Might as well be ready for things like this. QUITE. (Was able to save some on some paydays but still reallocated to other things. I was firmer with my NO this time, without feeling guilty over not being able to lend (aka give) money to borrowing relatives)
  12. Start saving for an international travel (planning to do backpacking in Europe as a graduation gift for myself when I complete the MTM program). Will initially set aside 2k/month for this. - QUITE (But for a Japan trip this year. Europe would have to wait but still in the list)
Too many reds, but this year is another chance to be better.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous edelweiza said...

2016 gives us another opportunity to do better in our financial goals. Let's do it! :)

1/13/2016 04:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mylene said...

True Ms. Edel :).

1/18/2016 11:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home